Centre for Peace and Democracy (CPD) is a national non-governmental and non-profit organization that works in South Central Somalia with the vision of a poverty-free and sustainably-developed Africa. CPD’s scope of work spans across the humanitarian, development, peace building and governance spectrum.
The organization is currently recruiting a competent and qualified Project Engineer based in Adado
District, Galmudug State to support the implementation of a project titled “Multi-sectoral and integrated humanitarian response for conflict and climatic shocks affected vulnerable communities in
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
The Project Engineer will manage all infrastructural activities related to the implementation of the
project from tender to implementation, including logistics and monitoring. S/he will be responsible for the implementation, monitoring and reporting of all infrastructural activities and associated
administrative tasks. S/he will coordinate closely with the project team, local administrations,
community leaders, community committees and other stakeholders to achieve the construction goals and ensure that communities are mobilized in a participatory way. S/he will report to the Project
SPECIFIC ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and maintain good relationships and lines of communication with relevant local
authorities and communities, and liaising with them during all phases of the project.
- Ensure community involvement in all phases of the project (identification, design,
implementation, and monitoring) to ensure the development of community ownership for the project. This should be done in coordination and cooperation with other project team led by the Project Manager.
- Preparation of designs and bill of quantities (BOQS) for all infrastructure works.
- In cooperation with the Project Manager, assist in the development of work plans for the implementation of infrastructure activities in the target districts.
- Assist in completing standard Memorandum of Understanding (MoUs) with community representatives and local authorities for each community identified for project activities. Ensure that all elements of MoU are adhered to.
- Implement projects as planned according to developed technical standards, schedules and timelines. This will include location on site for planned infrastructure based on community agreement, supervision of all construction works.
- Keep detailed technical records for every construction works, trainings and meetings.
- Provide feedback through the Project Manager to the MEAL team in order to assess the effectiveness of the project and impact and propose recommendations for improvements.
- Provide regular written and verbal reports to the Project Manager on infrastructure development activities.
- Assist the Project Manager and tender committee in selection of qualified contractors to implement infrastructural works.
- Supervise and be responsible for all technical aspects of project implementation, ensure they are completed in a timely, efficient and accurate manner according to standard engineering methods and contract agreements.
- Maintain detailed work plans and written records of engineering work undertaken in the project, including site visits and reporting of work progress.
- Executive other duties as assigned by the Project Manager.
- A minimum of a degree in civil/construction engineering or other relevant educational
background, preferably technical, to degree level.
- Minimum of 5 years work experience in engineering project implementation and supervision.
- Knowledge and experience in use of CAD programs preferably Auto CAD and Archi CAD.
- Knowledge and experience in generation of bill of quantities (BOQS).
- Proven knowledge in the interpretation of construction engineering drawings and designs.
- Understand construction standards of Somalia as stipulated by the Federal Ministry of Public Works and Housing.
- Demonstrated and proven expertise in construction and WASH in Somalia.
- Familiarity with international humanitarian operations, coordination structures, and the
mandates of UN agencies, Local organizations, and other NGOs.
- Good organizational skills and the ability to anticipate project needs.
- Knowledge of humanitarian standards and codes particularly SPHERE guidelines.
HOW TO APPLY
Suitable candidates (preferably female) are encouraged to send their application made up of a cover letter and updated resume with 3 referees to email@example.com on or before July 15th, 2021.