Centre for Peace and Democracy (CPD) is a national non-governmental and non-profit organization that
works in South Central Somalia with the vision of a poverty-free and sustainably-developed Africa. CPD’s
scope of work spans across the humanitarian, development, peace building and governance spectrum.
The organization is currently recruiting a competent and qualified Gender Officer based in Adado
District, Galmudug State to support the implementation of a project titled, “Multi-sectoral and
integrated humanitarian response for conflict and climatic shocks affected vulnerable communities in
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
The Gender Officer will provide technical expertise and guidance in integrating and mainstreaming
gender promotion across the project interventions. The position is also linked to the promotion of
gender equity within the different organizational and project units, i.e., the promotion of gender
balance, work/life issues, harassment and a gender sensitive work environment. The post holder will
collaboratively work with the program team to provide support on gender cross-cutting theme and
obtain the support required to achieve the expected deliverables.
SPECIFIC ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Under the technical guidance of the Project Manager, the Gender Officer will be responsible for
planning and implementing gender mainstreaming activities with program staff at field level.
She/he will ensure the inclusion of gender into all aspects of program planning processes and
- The Gender Officer will support Program team to implement and monitor activities, making sure
that gender mainstreaming is adequately integrated.
- The Gender Officer will monitor the integration of gender mainstreaming through regular visits
to project location, draws the attention of the Program team around successes and challenges
faced in the program, and orient the teams to take corrective measures.
- The Gender Officer will work closely with the Monitoring & Evaluation team to design and
implement gender-sensitive data collection tools, including but not limited to the collection of
Sex, Age, and Disability Desegregated Data.
- The Gender Officer will contribute to the definition of the methodology and tools of the internal
baseline and external mid-term and final evaluations.
- The Gender Officer will identify training needs of the Program team, develop and implement a
capacity building plan (including training, mentoring, etc.)
- The Gender Officer will attend the relevant coordination meetings (ie: GBV Working Group,
Protection Working Group, etc.), connect with other stakeholders to facilitate orientation of
project beneficiaries (especially survivors of GBV) and use the information shared to improve
gender mainstreaming in programs.
- The Gender Officer will provide inputs on gender mainstreaming in the monthly and quarterly
reports and review donors’ reports to ensure gender mainstreaming is properly reported and
that the reporting language is gender-sensitive.
- The Gender Officer will participate in research around gender equality to support policy and
- The Gender Officer will identify success stories, case studies, etc. for documentation and
- A university degree in the relevant field (e.g. Gender or development studies, social sciences, or
related discipline) or equivalent experience.
- Experience of working in the humanitarian or development sector.
- Good oral and written communication skills in English and Somali.
- Knowledge and skills in computer usage especially Microsoft office program (Work, Excel, and
- Knowledge of the social context and challenges in promoting gender equality and equity in
- An understanding of Gender in Emergency Minimum Standards-Hand Book and the IASC
Guidelines for Integrating Gender-Based Violence Interventions in Humanitarian Action.
- Demonstrated capacity of social and communication skills and ability to work with others and as
part of the team.
- Commitment to a rights-based approach, gender equality, and protection.
- Willingness to work in insecure environments and a high level of adaptability and initiative.
HOW TO APPLY
Female suitable candidates are encouraged to send their application made up of a cover letter and
updated resume with 3 referees to email@example.com on or before June 18th, 2021.